Monday, April 6, 2009

The Cheesecake Factory / Waikiki Beach Hawaii

This was our first visit to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner and desert. We waited 90 minutes for a table, we were told that the wait was long, we decided to wait it out. This is a very popular restaurant, with a very inviting outdoor patio lit by flaming tiki lamps. We were given a vibrating disk that called us to come to be seated almost to the 90th minute. There is also a souvenir stand with all kinds of t-shirts and fresh pies for sale. While we were waiting I was able to observe the open kitchen in full action. They were very busy to say the least, they were pumping food out. One observation I made was I noticed that not one chef ever tasted the food that they were sending out. Every chef must taste the food that they prepare, they must have been over confident that their food leaves the pass perfect. I guess that we will find out soon!

We were seated on the outdoor patio under the romantic flaming tiki lights, just where we wanted to sit. The evening could not have started better! The menu is huge, serving every kind of food one could ever want. We ordered some drinks that arrived quickly, we stuck into the menu to study the food dictionary in front of us.











We enjoyed reading the menu, having our drinks, it was a magical Waikiki evening. The atmosphere of the restaurant, and the dreamy atmosphere of Waikiki, made for a very romantic evening. I had in the back of my mind that the kitchen chefs were not tasting the food on the pass so I suggested that we just order one dish. We could share it for two reasons, if the food was so delicious we could order more. I also wanted to have one of the huge deserts that were passing by us table after table. Everyone seemed to be ordering deserts!

While we were waiting for our food no not long, I just wanted the food to come slow as we were enjoying the moment more than ever. I noticed that the restaurant was not so clean, this also bothered me. I understand that they are so very busy, but if they are making so much profit, they could at least employ a team of cleaners. Still nothing could change the Waikiki moment that we were enjoying!

We received our Cajun shrimp that looked less than appetizing. The plate arrived with food around the rim as the plate was never wiped clean at the kitchen. I was right that the chefs were not into detail at all. I was still enjoying my drink but I was then informed that the shrimp tasted like rubber. I tried the shrimp and without question the shrimp were not fresh, the shrimp were frozen. If frozen shrimp is over cooked, they turn into a chewy rubber. We called over our server and informed her that the food was uneatable. She removed the plate, she did ask us if we wanted to order something else, we declined and asked for our deserts to be brought over when she had some time. Fresh shrimp cooked correctly Cajun style would not be so chewy.

We received our deserts, and there is no question that The Cheesecake Factory is all about deserts. The huge coffee we also ordered was most delicious! The cake had a huge helping of whipped cream, enough while eating the cake. Nothing bothers me more when a desert is ordered and the whip cream is the size of a teaspoon helping. This was not the case at The Cheesecake Factory.

I would not recommend having dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, but do enjoy any of the deserts. If you try to arrive at the restaurant after the dinner hour, you should not have to wait so long for a table. Enjoy a desert, and enjoy the magical Waikiki evening. If you are able to land a table on the outdoor patio, this is a great spot to people watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment